We all start from zero. No matter what we do in our business, our lives, and our relationships, it all begins with taking a first step.
Even in the middle of a project though, you can reset to zero. Rethink things. Evaluate. Make a shift.
Let’s use the season opener to do a reset and look at how creativity and business go together. In working with clients of all types, two truths have become very clear to me:
- If you want to start a business, you’d better get creative.
- If you’re a creative, you’d better start thinking like a business.
If you’re there already – awesome. If not, I hope this episode help you embrace the Power of Zero.
Listen to Episode 132 here or subscribe in Apple Podcasts or your favorite pod player.
Here are links to the articles I mentioned in the episode:
All my online courses (current and future) can be found here: controlmousemedia.com/courses. Here are the ones I mentioned in the episode:
- How to Start a Business: A Case Example (Free Online Course). In 8 video lessons, we go from a standing start on Day 1, and take you through all the major milestones of success and failure in the first 18 months or so. The course is free – register here.
- Content Strategy Basics: An Overview (Free Online Course). Gives you an overview of content strategy so you understand what you need to do to activate this whole process. The course content is open to the public – you do not need to register.
- CreateBiz: Content Marketing for Creatives (Online Course). This comprehensive online course helps creatives of all types build a business around their writing, music, and art – modeled after the course that I teach at Emerson College. Here’s the intro lesson. Subscribers to the podcast list get a discount here.
- SEO Basics (Online Course – due this fall). SEO doesn’t have to be complicated. This online course is structured for the layperson, to teach you all the basics you need to know to improve your site ranking. Sign up to get notified when it’s ready.
With this podcast, I try to keep you up-to-date on new things that might affect your overall marketing strategy. I publish most Mondays – subscribe here (and select podcast / every new post) if you’d like to be notified when new episodes are available.
I offer a bunch of free help with content marketing in my podcast and blog for small business owners of all types, including freelancers, writers, and other creatives. If you are able, fuel my efforts with a cup of coffee!