Part 4: SEO for Small Business
Your job in running a business is to form a connection with new potential customers, earn their trust, and gradually prove to them why you can solve a particular problem they are having.
SEO is about building the apparatus to do this. It starts with:
- Understanding your potential customer enough to know what they’ll be searching for
- Setting up your site so that Google understands that you can actually serve these people
- Providing a clear answer for these potential customers when they first arrive
- Having a pathway ready for them to take the next step in learning what they want to learn
- And then nurturing them until they are ready to take an action of their own volition
So you can see that SEO is more than just page rank and traffic volume. It can help you make better decisions about your content and how it is currently serving people.
Episode 136 is getting back to the real point of SEO – connecting with your potential customers who are out there asking for your help (via Google). Listen to it here or subscribe in Apple Podcasts.
The only social platforms where the user is in a “seeking posture” are Pinterest and YouTube. Here are a few episodes about how to take advantage of this for your business:
- Why Pinterest Is on the Rise
- Pinterest for Business: Are You Missing an Opportunity?
- YouTube for Business: Where the World Goes to Learn
SEO Basics (Online Course)
A part of my Core Concepts of Content Strategy series, I am developing an online course devoted to SEO. It’s based on the work that I do with clients each week, teaching you the techniques that will make an immediate difference to your business.
This course is structured for the layperson, and it includes:
- Video walk-throughs, templates, and checklists.
- Key highlights of Google’s 200 ranking factors.
- How to use Google Analytics.
Sign up here to be notified when the course is launched:
More info at: https://controlmousemedia.com/seo-basics
With this podcast, I try to keep you up-to-date on new things that might affect your overall marketing strategy. I publish most Mondays – subscribe here (and select podcast / every new post) if you’d like to be notified when new episodes are available.
I offer a bunch of free help with content marketing in my podcast and blog for small business owners of all types, including freelancers, writers, and other creatives. If you are able, fuel my efforts with a cup of coffee!