Part 10: Starting a Business Series (A Case Example)
Starting a business is incredibly difficult, especially in the very early days. The set of challenges you will face is different than any other thing you’ll do in your career.
Having been through the process myself – and working with small business owners every day – I see one common mistake: People wait to start marketing. This is understandable: Marketing is challenging. You may feel like you don’t know where to start, or what strategies might be effective once you do start.
Now is the time to start. To help you, this 10-part series traces the early days of my business – my strategies, my successes, and my mistakes – so that you have somewhat of a roadmap. This episode (#131) is the season finale, and it serves as a summary of the entire series. See the show notes below to jump right to a specific episode in the series, or click here to watch the video versions of this series.
Episode 120 is Part 1 of this 10-part series: So You Want to Start a Business? The rest of the series is listed here:
- Episode 121: Day 1 of Your New Business
- Episode 122: Finding Mentors and Models
- Episode 124: Surviving the First Few Months of a New Business
- Episode 125: Making the Fear Disappear
- Episode 127: Creating Effective Cornerstone Content
- Episode 128: Producing a Podcast: Pros and Cons
- Episode 129: Building Your Email List
- Episode 130: Productizing Your Knowledge
How to Start a Business: A Case Example (Free Online Course): Video versions of the episodes in this series. Completely free, along with other resources such as worksheets, templates, and checklists that I update as needed.
Counterintuitive Lessons from Mentors and Mistakes (Podcast Series): If you are ready to go further, here are the more “advanced” lessons that I learned the hard way about business, marketing, and sales:
- Unit 1: The New Business Mindset (6 episodes)
- Unit 2: The New Marketing & Sales (5 episodes)
- Unit 3: The New Customer Relationship (5 episodes)
I Appreciate Your Support
- The ACLU is more important than ever. I am donating my music to help fund their efforts because playing defense matters. When you purchase any of these songs: 100% of the proceeds go to the ACLU.
- I offer a lot of free help, because I am rooting for the underdogs like you and me. If you are able, say thank you with a nice cup of coffee! My appreciation in advance – love and respect to you!
- All the other ways you support me are awesome too! I love getting comments and feedback on my podcast episodes and blog posts from people like you doing your thing and making a difference. Leave me a review on iTunes, or just say hello on Twitter.
Over and out for now – see you in September!
Please consider supporting this podcast on Patreon.
Leave a Reply