Ditch the Tricks, Hacks, and Quick Fixes
Forging real connections with real customers take real effort. Every business owner knows this. So why do we behave differently when we get online? Why do we take social connections less seriously, and look for the tricks, hacks, or quick fixes?
It doesn’t make any sense.
There are no shortcuts in building an audience, and you can’t rush or “hack” the trust-building process.
But look at all the people out there buying backlinks to “help” with SEO, buying followers to pump their profiles, auto-DMs to attempt a quick conversion, and cross-platform auto-posting to save some time and effort.
None of these “strategies” work, and in fact – they may even damage your business.
In this episode, I look at why these tactics can backfire, and how to ditch the tricks and seek efficiency instead with two questions:
- What can you optimize?
- What can you offload?
Listen to Episode 102 here or in iTunes.
Here are links that I mentioned in the episode:
- The New Business Mindset (series). The first 6 episodes of this series are about how the principles of content strategy can be applied to the functional aspects of running a business.
- The New Marketing and Sales (series). This episode is Part 2 of this current series about how to take advantage of the fact that today’s marketing has changed.
- Be In It for the Long Game (Episode 96). If you don’t go in with this mindset, STOP NOW. Content marketing won’t work.
- The Service Disposition (Episode 94). If you don’t live to serve, you don’t have a business. Isn’t it really that simple?
How to Cross-Post Like You Just Don’t Care
Here’s an example of cross-platform auto-posting, nothing but a string of “fb.me” links. Do you want to follow this person?
I mentioned future episodes on the horizon:
- Soft-Touch Marketing Is More Respectful – And More Effective (Episode 103)
- Marketing and the Experimental Mindset – Measure To Market (Episode 104)
Please subscribe if you want me to remind you!
If want to work with me (beyond those one-off writing projects!), please contact me directly here.
Leave a Reply