There’s a storm coming for Facebook. You can see it on the horizon. From the revelations about Russian ads to growing research that using Facebook is unhealthy, we are going to see big changes in the future. This won’t only affect Facebook, but given its sheer size, scope, and influence – it’s the 800 lb. canary in the coal mine. Expect the other platforms to suffer too.
If you use Facebook to promote your business or connect with customers, these changes are going to affect you a lot. Regulations are coming, and it’s best to have a Plan B in place sooner rather than later. Episode 114 is devoted to what you can do to prepare yourself and your business for when it happens.
Listen to the episode here or subscribe in iTunes.
Here are links to everything I mentioned in the episode:
- Facebook has 2.07B monthly active users (Q3 2017) and 1.37B daily active users (Sept 2017). Source: zephoria.com.
- A predictor of the coming storm: In Five Things to Learn From Uber’s Implosion: How to Fail at the Future, Umair Haque lays out how companies that are purely extractive are going to be punished by their users.
- People are going to drive this change. Why? Because studies show that happiness levels go down significantly after using Facebook and other “social” platforms:
- Why do we keep using Facebook? by Dylan Tweney
- A New, More Rigorous Study Confirms: The More You Use Facebook, the Worse You Feel by Holly B. Shakya and Nicholas A. Christakis
- 11 reasons to delete your News Feed by Louis Barclay
- I stopped checking Facebook for a year, without deleting the app – here’s what I learned by Renée Fishman
- Have Smartphones Destroyed a Generation? by Jean M. Twenge
- Why is FCC Chairman Ajit Pai so bad? John Oliver explains it better than I ever could.
- On Facebook and innovation, I quoted Tim Wu, from The Attention Merchants (affiliate link):
“In business, invention is often said to be overrated as compared with execution. Perhaps the best proof of this idea yet to be offered by the twenty-first century is the success of Facebook, a business with an exceedingly low ratio of invention to success.”
As I mentioned in the episode, my site is: controlmousemedia.com
- Free help in my podcast and blog.
- Inexpensive help in my online course.
- Exclusive access with one-on-one training.