Whether you’re an employer or employee, the world of work is changing. Whether you want to start a business or contribute to a business, it helps to understand the ways in which people are working differently, and how the relationship between people and companies is changing.
That’s why I invited Katy Tynan to the show this week. Katy’s expertise is the evolution of work, which affects us all in some way. She believes that work doesn’t have to suck—but can be incredibly fulfilling if you can find your superpower at the “intersection of talent, interest, and value.”
What do you do best? And once you know that, how do you articulate it to others? In the new world of work, it’s more important than ever to develop your personal brand. So, how you can use content marketing to achieve your work and career goals?
In this episode, Katy talks about:
- Some background on how the world of work changing—and how it affects you.
- Why is this a great time to start your own small business—or do the “solo thing.”
- How you can’t manage your time, but can manage your priorities instead.
- Trends in the “change in alignment” between individuals and employers.
- How the structure of your role is not nearly as important as your mindset.
- The biggest reasons that people struggle with the transition from employee to indie biz.
- How your social posts create a “portfolio” that showcase your idea and what you care about.
- Why you should NOT follow your passion, but find your superpower instead.
- How personal branding is not just for entrepreneurs. Traditional employees can benefit too.
If you are listening on iTunes and wish to leave a comment or question for Katy or me, please do so here on the show page: http://bit.ly/mwm-049.
Here are links to the some of the things that came up during our discussion.
Screw Finding Your Passion by Mark Manson
The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer
Chris Brogan’s “3 Words” concept.
Dan Lyon’s controversial article on Hubspot.
Derek Sivers’ “Now Page” concept—and my now page as an example!
I hope you find these resources to be helpful!
More about Katy:
Katy Tynan is the bestselling author of practical guides to career transitions, and an internationally recognized expert on how work is evolving. In a world where 70% of employees are disengaged, Katy helps individuals and organization master the transition to the future of work.
To connect with Katy: Web / Twitter / LinkedIn
Katy’s Facebook Community for Free Agents and Small Business Owners
Leave a Reply