Part 3: SEO for Small Business
Why is SEO important? The quick answer is that it will likely be the primary way that people find your website. This “data pattern” is persistent in my own content strategy and those of my clients.
SEO tackles one of the most difficult parts of any business – finding new potential customers. What’s more is that Google will help you with this – for free.
Here’s the rub though: You have to play by Google’s rules. While Google matches your content to a customer, they don’t give you a lot of real estate to prove yourself – so that means you really have to have everything nice and optimized for search results.
In Episode 135, I make my case for why SEO is the most important part of any marketing program. Listen to it here or subscribe in Apple Podcasts.
Links from the episode:
- In Comparison of Google Clickthrough Rates by Position by Dave Chaffey (published on July 9, 2018), “shows the value of being in the top 3 clearly with CTRs from nearly 30% in first position to 10% in third position.”
- The importance of the #1 position has held relatively consistent over the past 5 years. In an article published in 2013 by online ad network Chitika, No. 1 Position in Google Gets 33% of Search Traffic, the title speaks for itself.
Online courses I offer: https://controlmousemedia.com/courses
- Email Marketing for Business https://controlmousemedia.com/email-marketing-for-business
- Social Media Strategy for Business https://controlmousemedia.com/social-media-strategy-for-business
- SEO Basics https://controlmousemedia.com/seo-basics
More about SEO Basics (Online Course)
SEO doesn’t have to be too technical – it’s more about good writing. My course is structured for the layperson, presented in a non-intimidating way. Just enough practical knowledge to get you up and running and making an impact on your business.
Sign up here to be notified when the course is launched:
With this podcast, I try to keep you up-to-date on new things that might affect your overall marketing strategy. I publish most Mondays – subscribe here (and select podcast / every new post) for me to notify you when new episodes are available.
I offer free help with content marketing in my podcast and blog for small business owners of all types, including freelancers, writers, and other creatives. If you are able, say thanks with a cup of coffee!
You can also support this podcast via Patreon.